Friday, May 31, 2013

This little light of mine

 Last week I found myself turning the car around rather quickly to go to an Estate Sale that was in a lovely retirement community.  When I stepped into the home my heart raced as my eyes spotted one treasure after another.  I was almost sad for not having met the dearly departed mother of the ladies hosting the sale, for she had loved the things that I love and I knew that we would have been fast friends.   When I spotted these lamps I knew in an instant that they were coming home with me.  That is if the price was right and as I spoke with the ladies of their mother's treasures, I pulled out my phone to show them a picture of my bedroom and exactly where they would go.   With a tear in their eyes they told me that she would have been delighted to know of the home that they would go to.  It was a comfort to them and a delight to me.
 I knew they were big lamps.  I would guess them to be about 3-4 feet tall and the base filled my bedside tables.  I may have to come up with another place to put them.
 As I was placing them I discovered this signature and stamp I rushed to the computer to see just exactly what the story was on these lamps.
The lamps were created by the JB Hirsch Lighting Company and these were a part of the Francaise Collection which were made from molds of the famous French bronze sculptor LF Moreau and his brothers.
 During the time of WW1 various bronze founderies began to hide the molds fearful they would fall into the hands of the Nazis.
 The molds were taken apart and the parts were scrambled.
 In 1948-1963 over 200 molds were unearthed.
 When JB Hirsch learned of this discovery he brought back several molds from France.  Putting them together was like figuring out a zigsaw puzzle with much the same delight of the completed accomplishment.
 I am amazed by the wonderful details of these lamps.
I hope you have enjoyed this little bit of history.  I hope that in the telling I haven't made any mistakes.   
Today I am joining Debra of Common Ground Vintage Inspiration  and the Show and Tell party at My Romantic Home  and French Country Cottage.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Becky

11 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful lamps, Becky! I'm sure my heart would have skipped a beat seeing them, too. They are works of art and lighting all in one! They look great in your bedroom, too.

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Oh my, Becky! These are stunning!! You did indeed find a wonderful treasure. The history behind them is fascinating. They're beautiful in their new home.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Becky,
I saw your post over at Show and Tell Friday. Your lamps are great and they look perfect in your bedroom. I like your header, your house is gorgeous and that porch is to die for!! I am your newest follower.
Gina at Victorian Wanna Be

Victorian1885 said...

What fun you must have had at the Estate sale! Your new lamps are perfect for your home and the details are wonderful! Have a great weekend!

Wanda

Julie Marie said...

Hello Becky... and thank you so much for visiting my blog and your sweet comment... your lamps are just stunning!... I read your profile... how fun you are planning on opening a B&B one day... I would love to stay there!... signing on to follow your adventures, xoxo Julie Marie

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Hello Becky,
How lucky you were to have found these beautiful lamps and thanks for sharing the story about them.

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Becky, the lamps are exquisite. I think they look perfect beside the bed. What a treasure you found. I have a similar piece that was also a lamp but I took it apart because I could not use the lamp and made a statue out of it. :) We used to visit a long time ago on blogs, back when I first started blogging. It was so good to see you again ~ Lynn @thevintagenest

Ivy and Elephants said...

Gorgeous find, the lamps are just fabulous! They look amazing in your bedroom. Your blog is great!
New follower,
Patti

Debra@CommonGround said...

oh Becky, these are real treasures and works of art. they are perfect for that room!!

trash talk said...

The attention and quality of the details is amazing. To think these molds could have been lost forever. You have truly found a pair of treasures.
Deb

Curtains in My Tree said...

I love those lamps and I think they look great on your bedside tables

they are beautiful and such a history story that goes with them