Monday, December 30, 2013

Can You Keep a Secret?

As I mentioned in a previous post, my go to place for inspiration and Annie Sloan Chalk Paint was then and is now Robyn Story Designs in Tampa.  The sofa in  Robyn's shop is painted.  Yes, my friend you read it correctly.  It is painted and after seeing how beautiful it turned out I bought a couple of cans of ASCP and painted my antique sofa below.   Reupholstering it was not in the budget with all of the other things that I needed to do to get the house ready for the tour.  I wanted to create a beautiful French themed room in whites and soft gray like the ones I had been pinning on Pinterest.   So this was my little secret that unless you were told no one was the wiser in knowing the day of the tour.
I found this beautiful sofa on Craigslist and it was in pristine condition.    The fabric was perfect except it was cream and gold.  Still pretty as it was, I wanted white and after one can of paint I was almost there.
I trimmed the wood out using Paris Grey ASCP and then waxed it.  The trick with painting the fabric is getting the fabric wet first.  So I sprayed it with water first and then with a very wet paint brush dipped it in to the paint and  painted it.  It took a little more than 2 cans of paint.   It feels and looks like leather.  I don't know exactly how it will wear yet but I was thrilled with the results and plan on keeping a can of ASCP on hand to touch it up when necessary.    
Would you have guessed it?  No?  Good, then shhhh..pinky swear....it's our secret!
Hugs,
Becky

I'm linking today with:
.   
Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Mod Vintage Life for Mod Mix Monday
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
 Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Dwellings-Heart of Your Home for Amaze Me Monday                               Rain on a Tin Roof
for Give Me The Goods Monday

12 comments:

Mary @ Framed and Tagged said...

OMGosh!!! I am thinking I need to try this! I have an old chair that needs it...if I don't like it I can always rip it off and redo it.
Thanks for the post!

Patty Sumner said...

Wow, who would have thunk it....lol It turned out great. I have a red checked couch that I so want to cover but to expensive...I am definitely going to try this on a smaller piece first. I am wonderfing if the paint "sheds" as you sit on it or if it may possibly rub off on whoever is sitting on it... let me know.. Thanks for sharing.. very interesting... Blessings!

chateau chic said...

Amazing change on your sofa! I love the result!! So beautiful.
Mary Alice

Mari said...

Omg it turned out beautiful who would have guessed, and no worries your secret is safe with me.....giggles....
Have a happy and healthy New Year..

Smiles~
Mari

Carolyn said...

I would never have guessed ~ it looks amazing!

Thank you for sharing your secret,I may have to try that. I have the perfect chair to try it on except for one thing- there is a hole in the fabric on the seat...darn!

Wishing you a healthy and happy new year!
Carolyn

Revi said...

Oh, wow! This looks so pretty! I painted a sofa with watered-down latex. It looks nice, but is a bit stiff. Next time, I'll probably use ASCP. Your sofa looks wonderful.
-Revi

Inspiration i vitt said...

I wish you with all my heart a really nice new year. Hug / Ingela.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Wow, I think I would be too scared to do something like that! It looks beautiful. Is there any residual paint odor, and does any paint come off on clothing when you sit on it? I hope you will keep us posted about how well it holds up.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, it looks amazing. I love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me and I hope you have a very Blessed and Happy New Year. Hugs, Marty

Suz said...

I can't believe I had to find your blog on a google search of Rachel Ashwell's Couture Boutique. Love your blog. I'm at www.cruisinoversixty.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I have been thinking about doing a small upholstered chair. I think I just may. I use chalk paint all the time, but have never done fabric. I wish I could visit Robyn's store. She was my one dedicated sponsor on my blog until I quit taking them. She is such a sweet person.

Anonymous said...

I would never have guessed you could paint a couch and that it would look that great!