Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Forced to be DIYers

I became quite the hunter when we purchased the Shabby Old House and many of the items I found came from Garage Sales and Craigslist.  The existing chandeliers in our entry hall were pretty but nothing special so when I found these 3 chandeliers I was thrilled.  With 14 feet ceiling we felt certain that we would have to have an electrician hang them but the problem with living in a small town is when somebody has a big job all of the local electricians and contractors are tied up for months.  Small jobs such as ours are given the promise of, " I will get to you "possibly" next week."  Well that is fine if you live in the area but traveling back and forth to the house from Tampa just wasn't working with anybody's schedule so  the job to hang those chandeliers was pretty much left hanging but NOT on the ceilings!  I was getting pretty anxious about it as the time for the tour was drawing closer.


 So my sweet husband was forced to do something that he believed that he could do all along but with previous luck in the transport of one chandlier several years ago I was the one with some aprehension because for whatever reason glass seems to break when dropped.  
Since we had been needing to purchase a 10 foot ladder and no availability of an electrician we decided to just go for it with hubby hanging the chandleliers.    However, I would have to leave the room sometimes gripped in fear of hubby and chandelier falling to the floor both broken beyond fixing.
The first chandelier went up with what appeared to be without a hitch until we flipped the switch and I watched as smoke came out of the box and a spark shot through our cord cover which I was certain would burn down the house.  It appeared that of the 3 wires available one of them was most certainly the wrong one connected.  A quick call to the local busy yet kind, understanding and most helpful electrican guided my husband into fixing the problem and we had lights in the living room. With the help of our dear friends the heavy dining room chandelier went up and next came the front entry chandelier without a hitch until we decided that it needed a medalion which came only days before the tour.   Up the ladder dear hubby went and down came the chandelier.   Up went the medalion and down came the pliers and chain right on top of the chandelier breaking two of the cups.  When I found my husband curled in the corner crying...not really... my heart just hurt for him.  Much to our delight, I, being somewhat of a hoarder had two chandeleir cups in a box.  So all is calm and all is bright in the Shabby Old House.


I am joining Elizabeth and Co Be Inspired party today.
Marty's Inspire Me Tuesday
Linda @ Coastal Charm 

6 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Gorgeous chandy. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Mart

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your chandeliers are beautiful! I've replaced all of mine too.

Carolyn said...

The chandeliers are all beautiful!You and your hubby have done a lot of amazing diys.
I enjoyed your comment and chuckled over the t.v.guest.Enjoy all your hard work!

Carolyn

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous chandeliers..glad you got a quick fix on the first one..I never let my hubby do anything electrical…after an incident similar to yours!

xinex said...

Wow! So glad your hubby was able to hang them. They are gorgeous!...Christine

xinex said...

Wow! So glad your hubby was able to hang them. They are gorgeous!...Christine