Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Farm Treasures

 A year ago I had to make the trip back home to Indiana to sell my Dad's farm.  It was a very emotional trip for me.
I didn't grow up on this farm as it had been purchased to be a hobby farm for my Dad and his Father.  So instead of the lake cottage that my mother had dreamed about I spent summers riding ponies and playing with my cousins all around the farm and in the barn's huge hay loft.  Most importantly I spent time by my dad's side as he worked on projects in the barn.
The later part of my Dad's life was lived out here.
He loved his farm and the barn and buildings were his craft/play rooms as he restored wonderful antique cars there.
 As I drove up the lane to the farm I remember how he had planted tiny little blue spruce trees.  Sometimes the weeds were taller than the trees but they survived and in the beauty of that fall day I felt his spirit move in the breeze among the trees.
 It was sad to see the disrepair that the barns were in.  His farm had been in a life estate and after my Father's death his widow moved back to her own home and let her family live there and so the story goes.   
 All of my Father's things had been sold at auction but I was in hopes of finding something that I could treasure.  I asked the soon to be new owners of the farm if they would mind if I took some barn wood from the fallen buildings to try to make a farm table and a few other items from the wood.  I think he was thrilled hoping that I would have taken more.
Why is it that hubby's always take pictures like the one above this?   Needless to say a diet started after this trip!!
 I was thrilled with my fallen discovery.
This wonderful old door was rescued and I will show you in my next post just what we did with it.
And of course this photo was cropped for the sake of your eyes and my pride. 

8 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

That is so sad about your father's barn. It looks like it was a beauty in its day with the curved design on the doors. I'm glad you were able to take some mementos of wood and that great door home with you. Blessings, Pamela

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

You are too funny. Glad you able to salvage something and can't wait to see what you've made!

Gina said...

I enjoy your blogs and the neat ideas you have I cant wait to see what you do with the old door. Your father's farm was beautiful.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Becky: I'm so glad you were able to salvage something of your Dad's hard work. Beautiful dirt road to the property reminds me of where I grew up..I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with the door..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Koren said...

Hi Becky,
Why is it that we women are always hardest on ourselves?

You know when I see a women who's not thin, you know the ones who look like a model! A women who has some weight on her... I can honestly see them as beautiful!

In our society there is way too much emphasis on being perfect, when there isn't such a thing!!!

Yes, at times I look at myself, one who has put on 20lbs in the last 2 or so years, thanks to health issues and menopause, I honestly somewhat have a hard time accepting myself for the way I look too.

Then there is the being healthy and feeling better not having extra weight! I do believe we should look at these issues...

Doing the best we can in our circumstances, acceptance and loving ourselves are key, I believe.

Sure wish I could exercise without causing myself more pain, but I do some..

I see a beautiful Becky, no matter if your heavier or lighter, I see a beautiful woman that God has made. Don't be so hard on yourself, really know that beauty is not what we see, but what is on the inside.
And, by the way, your hubby I'm sure took those photos not seeing anything wrong with you, he
more than likely sees a beautiful wife.
Your photos are touching, they speak so much about relationships and memories...

Love & Blessings

One Shabby Old House said...

Aww Koren,
Thank you for the pep talk! What a good friend you must be to those close to you and now me.
Hugs

Elzie said...

Haha! I don't think your back is worse than mine though!!
Looking forward to see what you've done with the doors.
I always thinks it's a pity to see old houses (and barns) in a bad state. Wish I could move to all of them and let them "live" again.
Hope you have a nice day.
Love Elzie

Curtains in My Tree said...

what a good story and a sad story very emotional for you I am sure

you didn't look at all bad in the picture

wish you could have gotten more of you Dad's things though

but a old barn door is priceless

Janice